Wednesday, April 9, 2014

3. Favorite Foods

I think this topic was definitely chosen by John.  I don't know how entertaining this post will be but here goes.

When I started thinking about this topic the very first thought that came to mind was chocolate cake with fudge frosting and vanilla ice cream all mashed together.  It just does not get any better than that.  But then I started really thinking about my favorite foods and with each thing I would think of I noticed there was more to it that just the food itself.  There was always a memory that went with it that made it one of my favorite foods.  For instance, the chocolate cake with ice cream was one of my mother's favorite desserts.

When I was young I baked many 1-2-3 cakes and for the icing I would use homemade plum jelly.  This was always a favorite of mine. Why?  Because I cooked it for my daddy.  How I wish I could bake one up right now and set and have a conversation with him.

My favorite meal of the day is always breakfast. Why? Because  Mom could fix fried eggs like no other.  Some way she got the whites firm and the yolks just right for her homemade biscuits to be crumbled up in. Nothing better. Or her chocolate gravy and biscuits. Special occasions called for special meals and this was special.

I love, love, love crispy fried pork chops with mashed potatoes, gravy and homemade biscuits. Why? It reminds me of the farm and family setting at the table together.  Dad having a hog butchered and the fresh meat. Delicious.

Homemade ice cream. Why? Dad cranking the freezer and me (or one of my siblings) setting on it to hold it steady. Heavenly.

And oh how I would love to set down right now with a platter of crispy fried salt pork, biscuits, gravy, onion and tomatoes.  Why? Mom would fix this for supper many nights in the summer when she had just picked fresh onion and tomatoes from her garden. Yummy.

My love of potato salad comes from my love for Aunt Dinah. Why? She would make it special for me at noon when I worked in Eden. She knew I loved it and she would make it and have me over for lunch.

John's BBQ brisket. Why? He loves bar-b-quing and that love makes it taste so good.

I could go on and on, but the moral to my story here is:  Good food and good memories go hand in hand.






1 comment:

Kalyn Gensic said...

Fried mushrooms, for all the reasons you just mentioned.