Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Killed A Snake !!

Can you believe that?!

Spring has sprung and that means yard work. It takes me a while to get started, but once I do I am addicted. I love planting my little plants and watering and watching them grow. I love the way my yard comes to life by the end of May. And it is beautiful in the summer.


Every year when I go out to begin cleaning out the flower beds, John always says "watch for snakes." Well, I went out and started cleaning and pulling weeds and raking and sure enough - I uncovered a SNAKE! Now, I hate snakes, I am scared to death of them. Usually I scream and run. But I guess at the ripe old age of 47 I knew I could handle this situation. I calmly walked over and got my grubbing hoe and walked back and chopped it into - 3 times! When asked what kind of snake I said "a live one!"

You know I would always think of Grandma Clampett when Mom would call me and tell me she had killed a snake or skunk or coon or whatever. Of course she usually used a gun, but she did use the ol' grubbing hoe at times. I guess I am slowly turning more into my mom as the years roll by.

I will never be as brave as Mom or Grandma Clampett. I will still scream and run when I see skunks or a snake with much size to it or just about any other living wild life, but for today I am going to feel smug because I did kill a snake!


Gratitude: My health so I can work in my yard and I am thankful I enjoy it.


Prayer: Please let everyone have the kindness to not ask what size the snake was. It does not really matter.

2 comments:

Kalyn Gensic said...

Courage is one thing I did not inherit from you and Grandma. Oh well. It's hopeless.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I don't think I could do that but I was always proud of my tough G-ma's! Also Edwin shooting Tarantula's is a fond memory of mine! Love you ! Deborah