Friday, December 26, 2008

A Favorite Christmas Memory From My Childhood

I love this story. I know all my brothers and sisters will say "yeah, she's the baby girl, spoiled rotten". And there may be a little truth to that, but just this one time in my life. Yeah, just this one moment.


I was very young. Probably 6. I was losing my two front teeth. It was Christmas time. Mom and Dad had the tree up and gifts were being wrapped and put under the tree daily. There was one big box. And my name was on it. I could NOT stand it. I begged and I begged to open that box every day.


Well, I had this one front tooth that was very loose and Dad needed to pull it, but I was scared and would not let him. He said, "When you let me pull that tooth, you can open the big box." But I just could not go there. Dad and Mom would let me open small gifts early, but not that big one. A couple of nights before Christmas Eve when we normally open our gifts, I was getting ready to take my bath and when I pulled my shirt over my head the tooth fell out. I ran and told Daddy and reminded him that I was supposed to get the big box when I lost that tooth, so he let me open it. It was a small electric stove. It had a little oven. I would toast pecans on it. I loved it. I still have it to this day. It does not work now, but it is still so precious to me.



Now, here is the "spoiled rotten" part. The next day I was looking under the tree and I only had one or two gifts left and everyone else had several. Mom noticed me looking and when gift opening time came, she had wrapped me more gifts - so I would have several to open also along with everyone else. Yeah, you might call that rotten, I call it love.



Gratitude: Thankful for all the Christmas' past - what a load of wonderful memories.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for the wonderful Christmas we just shared with J.C. and Please keep Kalyn and BJ safe as they travel here next week for our Christmas time with them. Amen.

2 comments:

Kalyn Gensic said...

I used to play with that oven all of the time. I thought I baked in it, but it must have been a newer oven that yall bought for me.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Memory. I think that all of us younger girls are spoiled- :) I also think we all are still sweet:) Just my humble opinion! Love ya! Deborah